- Find a Provider
Redeemer Health provides compassionate care across every stage of life.
- View all Services
- Health Care
- Cancer Care
- Heart Care
- Hospital at Home
- Maternity Care
- Pediatric Urgent Care
- More Health Care Services
- Home Care
- Support at Home
- Special Recovery at Home
- Chronic & Complex Conditions
- Advanced Care at Home
- Hospice Care
- More Home Care Services
- Patients & Visitors
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
HBOT is a supervised medical therapy where a high dose of oxygen is delivered to your body while under increased atmospheric pressure. This is achieved by breathing 100% oxygen while you are inside a pressurized chamber. Research has shown that certain wounds respond well when the body is saturated regularly with extra oxygen. Patients who undergo HBOT may experience reduced swelling, increased infection resistance and accelerated healing.
To learn more about HBOT or the Holy Redeemer Wound Care Center, please call 215-938-3170.
Your physician will know whether you are a candidate for HBOT. This therapy has been helpful for:
- Serious soft tissue and bone infections or traumatic crushing injuries
- Tissue and bone injured by radiation therapy
- Problem wounds such as diabetic foot ulcers
- Non-healing amputation sites or tissue grafts or flaps that are compromise
HBOT works in multiple ways by:
- Stimulating the growth of capillaries in low oxygen tissue to improve wound healing
- Shrinking blood vessels which can reduce swelling
- Using high levels of oxygen to help repair cellular function
- Promoting the production of new bone cells in compromised bone
- Eliminating bacteria
A full medical review is required before any treatment. To ensure you can safely be exposed to oxygen under pressure we assess your:
- Ears for the ability to equalize under pressure
- Lungs with chest X-rays and pulmonary function tests
- Eyesight if ongoing treatments are required
- Medical health history
You will lie relaxed in an airy chamber with a transparent window that allows you to clearly see the operator. Each chamber has its own individual entertainment system for personalized music listening, television or movie viewing. You won’t feel anything during the treatment, but post treatment some people feel fatigued or energized. If you drove yourself to the Wound Care Center, you will be able to drive home unaccompanied.
Insurance carriers (including Medicare) generally cover HBOT although pre-authorization may be required. Our care team can help you determine if this is covered.